|Dr. Johann Pryce|
Hemlock Grove, Pennsylvania, United Sates of America
The Greek Delivery Man/Himself - he was uploaded with Johann's brain
Prycilla † (creation)
Dr Johann Pryce is a visionary who believes that he can create life from death, his most prominent experiments involving a baby's corpse being infused with phosphorus to allow the body to support life once more. Pryce is a man who will do anything to pursue his agenda. Pryce’s lack of real human emotions may make him one of the deadliest residents in Hemlock Grove.
The origins of Dr Johann Pryce are unknown since the series began. However, Johann has stated that he spent part of this life creating the first artificial human being. In a flashback, we see J.R. Godfrey drive up to the Godfrey Institute with a small coffin; inside containing a deceased Shelley Godfrey whom he was able to reanimate.
Throughout The SeriesEdit
Pryce is a man who will do anything to pursue his agenda. Pryce’s lack of real human emotions may make him one of the deadliest residents in Hemlock Grove. One of his more telling moments is when he crushes his tape recorder in front of Norman Godfrey citing his unnatural strength as a reason he is so separate emotionally from humanity. This is perhaps contradictory to the care and empathy he shows Shelley Godfrey as her doctor as well as the empathy he shows for Clementine when she is skinned alive by Olivia, and left for him to "clean up". His childhood trauma and his ruthless father caused him to become ruthless as well, though he still has a moral code in not hurting innocent people, especially children. His artificial stimulants seem to counter act his condition, possibly due to the potential damage of an adrenaline overdose. These drugs, while allowing him to cope with his strength, and potentially his childhood trauma and possible damaged psyche as well, also where highly addictive and caused him to become frenzied and completely unstable, both mentally and emotionally.
Johann Pryce is of Asian descent and is of medium height, with brown eyes and short black hair. He is known for giving noticeably fake smiles that most people can see right through.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
- Enhanced Strength: Pryce suffers from an abnormality in his adrenal glands, which can give him hysterical strength, the occurrence normal human being feels excited or experiencing fight or flight mode, to the point that their adrenaline levels heighten until it makes them strong beyond their level until they calm down. Pryce has this strength all the time. He has the strength to shove a full Upir, but can be easily pinned down by a full Upir. His artificial stimulants seem to counteract his condition, possibly due to the potential damage of an adrenaline overdose. These drugs, while allowing him to cope with his strength, and potentially his childhood trauma and possible damaged psyche as well, also were highly addictive and caused him to become frenzied and utterly unstable, both mentally and emotionally.
- Mortality: Due to Johann only being a human with the enhanced strength he does not have the ability to heal rapidly, Johann can be killed any way that an ordinary human can be by any fatal physical harm or disease.
- Johann is a male name is the Germanized form of the originally Hebrew language name "Yohanan" meaning "God is merciful".
- Pryce is of Welsh origin meaning "son of rhys".
- And like many beautiful things, deceiving. It grows, feeds, breaths, and is not a living thing." (season 1, episode 4)
- "My concern is that his dislike of me is eclipsed only by his hatred of you." (season 2, episode 2)
- "You sure you want to talk about locked doors? Hidden rooms with their secret contents? And this from a man who literally lives in a glass house." (season 2, episode 3)
- "Start tearing down my house; you may be surprised by what comes crawling out of the rubble." (season 2, episode 4)